A Promising North Indian Classical Solo Violinist Dr. Swarna Khuntia has specialized in “GAYAKI ANG” of Violin Playing and is known for her soulful rendition of Alap , superb fluidity and control over the notes and Ragadari and on the instrument.
Born in a family of Musician at Cuttack , Orissa as her father Pandit. Harmohan Khuntia is an outstanding and renowned Tabla and Odissi Pakhawaj exponent of Orissa and a retired A- Grade Staff Artist and Composer from All India Radio, Cuttack and a disciple of Padmabhushan Pt. Gyan Prakash Ghosh.
Swarna initiated into North Indian Classical Violin vary lately while she was doing her Graduation in Chemistry from Stewart Science College, Cuttack. During this period she came across with an audio CD of Dr. Smt .N. Rajam in which Dr. Rajam has played raga Gorakh Kalyan. This incidence had a magnetic impact on Swarna and that has changed her life altogether. She has started her musical journey in 1987, began taking her initial training under Guru Sri. Prafulla Kr. Ray. After completion of her Graduation in Chemistry she joined Bachelor Music course in the Department of Instrumental Music, Faculty of Performing Ars, Banaras Hindu University in 1990 where she got an opportunity to meet her dream personality, the world famous Violinist Padmabhushan Dr. Smt. N.Rajam who is the pioneer of “GAYAKI ANG” a revolutionary technique of playing violin.A long cherished dream came true for Swarna. She completed her Bachelor in 1993 with First Division and Gold Medal, Master of Music in1995 with First Division and Distinction and Doctor of Music ( D.Mus) in 1997 under the able guidance of Dr. N.Rajam and her blessings. She has learned all the nuances of Gayaki Ang playing style along with the left hand fingering and right hand bowing techniques from her in a traditional Guru Sishya Parampara and still under her tutelage and still constantly working on the finer aspects of Ragadari and techniques.
Due to her scholarly performance Swarna has received Junior Research Fellowship from Ministry of Culture , Govt. Of India in 2000, Orissa Sangeet Natak Academy Fellowship for higher study in music in 1995 and National Cultural Scholarship to young talent in 1993 from Ministry of Culture and HRD , Govt. of India.
At present Swarna is working as a Senior Assistant Professor in Violin in the Department of Instrumental Music, Faculty of Performing Arts, Banaras Hindu University since November 2006. Earlier she has worked as a Lecturer in Violin at Indira Kala Sangeet University, Khairagarh, Chhattishgarh. During her short span of teaching career she could able to train many students from India and Abroad and among them Sri.Sarada Prasanna Das has received National Cultural Scholarship in 2010 and Topped the All India Radio Music Compettion in 2013 under her guidance.
Medals and Titles
Swarna has received BHU Gold Medal in 2003 for her outstanding Performance in B.Music from Banaras Hindu University, the SUR-MANI title from SUR SINGAR SAMSAD , Mumbai in 2006, KALASHREE title from National Music and Dance Festival, Jharial Mahotsav, Bolangir, Odisha in 2008 ,National SANGEET SHIROMANI Award in 2012 from International Dance and Music Festival , 3rd Cuttack Mahotsav to name a few.
Notable Public Performances:
As a solo performer Swarna has performed in many Music Festivals in India and Abroad.
- Performed in ICCR Horizon Series in July 26th 2014 at Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad
- Performed in ShaktiNaad- 9th March 2014 at New Delhi
- Performed in World Music Festival “2ÈME FESTIVAL VIOLONS CHANTS DU MONDE” held from 29th May to 2nd June 2013 at Calais, France.
- Acharya Smriti Sangeet Samaroah, FPA, BHU Jan 2014,2013,2012, 2011.
- Rajarani Music Festival, Bhubaneswar 2011
- Salt Lake Music Festival, Calcutta. 1996, 2000, 2003.
- ITC SRA Baithak, Kolkata 19966
- Konark Music and Dance Festival, Konark 1996
- Shankat Mochan Sangeet Sammelan, Varanasi 19966
- Utttaridhikar Music Festival, Ustad Allauddin Khan Sangeet Academi, Bhopal,1999
- Kal-Ke–Kalakar Music Festival, Swami Haridas Sangeet Sammelan, Mumbai,1997
- N.C.P.A Music Festival, Mumbai; Swar Sadhana Samitee, Mumbai,1998
- Shankuntala Sangeet Festival, Vasi, Mumbai; Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Teacher’s Convention, Nasik,2002
- Sankalp &Saptak Festival, Ahemedabad,2003, 2011
- International BHU Allumni Meet,Varanasi,2007
- Sankalp Sangeet Samaroah, Raipur and many more concerts and many more concerts,2002 etc to name a few.
Apart from these SWARNA is a B-High Grade Artist & a regular performer of All India Radio, Cuttack and Doordarshan, Bhubaneswar
She has also excelled in her Academic persuit as well . She is having a First Class P.G Diploma in Ecology and Environmental Science and a First Division and Distinction in B.Sc Chemistry Hons to her credit.